#9 How to Train Your Dragon

Monday, April 4, 2011


Last year January, I went to watch Alice in Wonderland ~in 3D~. The fact that it was directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp made me very excited for that film. But I went out the theater thinking to myself 'I did not just spend 16 dollar on this'. Perhaps I just don't understand it, but Alice in Wonderland disappointed me.

So when I was asked to go to the theater to watch How to Train Your Dragon later that month, I decided to not have any expectation before I watch the film, in case it leaves me in despair again. The reasons I decide to watch this movie was one: dragons, two: vikings.(Thankfully, I did not see the trailers beforehand, or else I wouldn't have went in the theater at all.)

And I came out the the theater crying. (In a good way)

I don't think I've ever left a movie theater like this. I can't really explain this feeling. Sure, I cried the entire way through Toy Story 3 and re-watched Nemo more than I should have, but How to Train Your Dragon somehow touched (if not stole) my heart without trying too hard. I wanted to go back in, I wanted to see it all over again. As or right now, I've watch HTTYD twice in theater, 5 times at home.



The premises of HTTYD is actually very simple. Hiccup is born and raised in Berk, a island occupied by Vikings . But that village always had some troubles - with dragons. These stereotypical dragons are the sworn enemy of the also stereotypical vikings of Berk. Hiccup, although being the chief's son, is actually the weakest viking of that village. And when he shot down the rarest dragon of all ,a Nightfury, he realize they might have had it all wrong...



At first, it might sound just like any other typical coming-of-age story, but How to Train Your Dragon isn't as shallow as it appears to be. This movie can be enjoyed by a adult as much a 5-year-old would. Vikings are usually stereotyped as a violent, dirty, horn helmet wearing brute who think with his fist. Hiccup, on the other hand, is a scrawny boy who prefer to think with his head. His small build, weak mindedness, and intelligence makes him an outcast. HTTYD speaks out against stereotypes, main stream and discrimination. In the film the characters learns to not judge people (or dragons) by their cover, but by who they really are. Another of HTTYD's moral is to 'be true to yourself, even if it means to be different, only then you will achieve true success and happiness.' Although this is what many people believe in, it is not necessary true in today's society. HTTYD show the viewer a realistic, dark side of this moral. *SPOILER* In the end, Hiccup loses his right leg saving the village (which also parallel with Toothless' missing right side of his tail), showing that there isn't always a perfect happy ending in life, sacrifice needs to be made.



HTTYD isn't just pretty animation and funny jokes. It's surprisingly deep and insightful story will speak to many people. I hope, like me, many people will find this movie taking them on a breathtaking and heart warming ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.